Calmer Suits Suzy J Brown Superbly: An Earnest and Refreshing Reflection - 11am, Saturday, 24th June 2017

Calmer Suits Suzy J Brown Superbly: 
An Earnest and Refreshing Reflection 
- 11am, Saturday, 24th June 2017
  
 Life's hard knocks often make for the better, more enlightened person...and writer.

The engaging and charismatic, yet down-to-earth and sincere Suzy J Brown proved no less in her recent appearance at our library.
Thank-you ever so much, Suzy.

Here she is below in her own words.




Suzy J Brown Reflects on her 
Morning at 
Mentone Public library:

Being invited to be part of the Author For All Seasons program at Mentone Public Library was both a humbling and enjoyable experience. Julia Reichstein put endless hours in to promote the event, source information, invite distinguished guests and organise the day, to whom I am eternally thankful. 


She revealed the reason why she invited me to participate in the program, as she had seen me previously at the Bayside Author’s Expo and my book launch at the Sandringham Library in 2016. She found that I was candid, honest and acknowledged hardships that I encountered in my writing journey that most authors do not reveal. To me, I am just being me… I wear my heart on my sleeve, I don’t sugar coat or embellish my experiences, I am who I am, and if you don’t like it, that’s OK with me. It was nice to know Julia saw something in me to be part of the program. 


Graeme Johnstone of 88.3 Southern FM's "Friday Magazine"
sits enthralled with wife and fellow author Elsie Johnstone at Suzy J Brown's Author talk
A highlight for me was being invited to Southern FM to do a radio interview with 
Graeme Johnstone on his Friday Magazine program. I had spent 5 years at Southern FM in the early Nineties, so it was amazing to go back and be part of the sound stage, and be interviewed by Graeme, who was intently interested in my writing and background, so much so, that he brought his wife to the Author’s Talk. It was a true honour.


On the day, I was overwhelmed with the numbers who came to see me… for someone who writes for the 35-50 year age group, and is encountered by a mostly senior audience who have had many more life experiences than me, I felt I had to throw away my prepared speech that was designed to inspire those who were feeling in a rut in life and needing to begin a new chapter. 


I ended up talking about my writing journey and how I’ve overcome some major incidents in my life, and how I’ve used those moments, those emotions and those energies to bring out the best in my writing and learn the life lesson that no matter how many downs we have, we will always have some ups. 



It was lovely to get a great deal of positive feedback from the audience, including the observation that I’m too trusting in a world where it’s hard to find trust in anyone. That observation, is something I will now reflect on in my everyday thoughts.




I thank Julia Reichstein, Tony Brooker, Paul Karp and Graeme Johnstone for their efforts in making the Authors for All Seasons program available at the City of Kingston libraries and the promotion in forwarding my writing career. I look forward to being more involved in the future.


Paul Karp's Vantage Point on the Morning that was 
with Suzy J Brown:
Visit Paul Karp's Poetry Website at:


On her 36th birthday Suzy decided she wanted more from life than just a marriage, kids, a job, and a mortgage. She bravely embarked on an unconventional journey that resulted in her first novel with the most arresting title 'On the road to the best orgasm ever' aka 'Freedom finds her'. Four years later came her second novel 'Calmer Suits Her'

Her first novel celebrated 'finding happiness', and the second was about 'how I'd like life to be', where 'plans change to become more perfect'.

Her success as a single mum developing her own real estate listing business has been tempered with the challenges of exploitation by her first publisher and by others she supported who were in a similar situation to her own.

Her reading of Chapter 3 of 'Calmer Suits Her' gave the audience an example of her craft, in which her protaganist Sarah meets Jamie, the ‘perfect man’.

Suzy has donated a copy of each of her novels to Mentone Public Library for members to enjoy.



Contact, Keep in Touch and Purchase 
Suzy J Brown's Works:

http://www.suzyjbrown.com/ 

If you missed out on Suzy's 

June appearance at Mentone Public Library, 

copies of Suzy's books can still be obtained directly from her website:



 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judy's Open Mic reflection, 24 June 2023

Lover, Husband, Father, Monster and the art of coercive control - Author talk with Graeme and Elsie Johnstone

George Ivanoff shows what the writing game is all about